Search This Blog

Friday, May 30, 2014

6/26 Retrieval on Memorial Day

I was scheduled for retrieval on Memorial day. This is 2 days earlier than planned and 4 days later than they wanted to trigger me the first time as the 2 biggest follicles hit 20 4 days prior. They kept measuring daily and I think somehow the nurses had different techniques to measure as the 2 follicles went from 20/21 to 20/20 to 24/26.

My guess is that I might have lost the leads after trigger but I will never find out.

Back to retrieval day. I had a 10 am appointment which worked out well. Not too early and not too late to be starving either. I got the IV and it took some convincing (the nurse) that I wanted the smallest needle/tube as I always get severe pain and bruises around the IV site. I guess she somehow confirmed after she was barely able to find a spot and inserted into a vein.
Doctor Minjarez was very nice and reassuring and checked in afterwards as well.
I felt nervous but it wasn't as bad as last time and it went fast. I barely remember being wheeled in and closed my eyes. And I actually felt rested when I woke up and a nurse checked on me. I brought my own snack which was almonds and blueberries and chocolate covered almonds. Just the right mix of salty and sugar and fruits.

Everybody was so surprised that I was wide awake and doing so well. I stayed for another hour after the procedure and they want to make sure you can use the bathroom before you are allowed to go. I didn't need the wheelchair and walked out with my friend who helped me all morning. She is also a patient of CCRM and had appointment that day and her retrieval is on Saturday.

And then they gave me the news: out of 8-9 they measured in the correct range for retrieval they only got 6. I was crushed. This is the same number like last time but how did that happen?  This time i felt more optimistic as i had a better AFC of 8, 4 on each side, it went faster and I had a higher number ( and not too high) of Estrodial in my system.
I was not in a good mood all day long, and just wanted to be alone. My mind was going crazy and I could not sleep that day until very late that night. I had the calendar out to plan potential retrieval dates in 2 months.

1 comment: